Re: What combination of Solaris & Oracle?

From: El Toro <medawsonjr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Oct 2001 19:18:55 -0700

Solaris 8 and Oracle 8.1.7.

Solaris 8 because of its much better VM management and more detailed commands for problem and performance investigation.   Plus, it's the first release to support Concurrent Direct I/O, which gives you similar performance  for Oracle that Veritas Quick I/O provides.

Oracle 8.1.7 because it is the only one of the 8i releases  that allow async I/O against filesystems. Yep, no matter WHAT you do or what parameter you set on 8.1.5 and 8.1.6, Oracle will not use asyn I/O if it discovers that the datafiles are on a filesystem (it does an fstat() call to find out). Also, check out the _filesystemio_options parameter in 8.1.7 for more info on performance benefits of using Solaris 8 w/Oracle 8.1.7.

These are just some of the reasons that come to mind.