Re: Correlation? init.ora: db_files and controlfile: maxdatafiles

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 22:31:43 +0200

"Johannes Bavendiek" <JohannesBavendiek_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:df6af3e.0110020614.2e3ed483_at_posting.google.com...
> Question for Oracle 8.0.4 and Oracle 8.1.7.
>
> We have a large DB with 238 files, and it is still growing.
> The init.ora parameter DB_FILES is set to 254.
> It is easy to increase it (set to 1024 and restart DB).
>
> But in the controlfiles there is a parameter MAXDATAFILES, also set to
254.
> Do I have to increase this also?
> And how?
>
> What is the correlation between db_files and MAXDATAFILES?
>
> cu
> Johannes

Max_data_files is the *static* limit which was used in creating the controlfiles.
This means you won't be able to increase db_files beyond max_data_files. Normally you would need to recreate the database. However I think that using more than 200 datafiles is *very undesirable* and if I would have to consult at your site I would address this issue *immediately*

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 15:31:43 CDT