Re: Oracle Instance On lInux

From: Ron Reidy <ron_at_indra.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 08:59:30 -0600

FaheemRao wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am litle bit familiar that how we can create Oracle Instance and
> Service on Windows NT.
>
> But now I am trying to Create the Oracle 8.1.7 Database on Redhat
> Linux 6.2,
> I installed oracle Successfully and wants to create an oracle
> Instance and then Database.
> In NT there is a Oracel utility "oradim" through we create the
> Oracle(NT) service and then start that service and then we starts the
> Oracle Instance.
>
> Now in Linux I dont know how to oracle something similar to Nt service
> in Linux and start the Oracle Instance.
>
> any help would be appraciated..
>
> thanks
>
> Faheem

The implementation on NT is very different from UNIX. In UNIX, there is no "service" like in NT. Oracle on UNIX works by starting a set of processes as daemons, which perform the various tasks for the instance to run correctly.

The reason Oracle starts when an NT service is started is because of registry entries. It has nothing to do with the service itself. Starting Oracle is accomplished by using 'svrmgrl' or 'sqlplus /nolog'.

You need to read the Oracle Admin docs, and go from there.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA