Re: SuSE Linux 7.2 /etc/services and Oracle 9i - Help!

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:40:34 +0200

"Tim Schaefer" <tim_at_datad.com> wrote in message news:GMHt7.28747$QJ3.986716_at_sjcpnn01.usenetserver.com...
> [...]
> # hosts This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
> # mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem. It is mostly
> # used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
> # On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
> # "named" name server.
> # Syntax:
> #
> # IP-Address Full-Qualified-Hostname Short-Hostname
> #
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>
> # special IPv6 addresses
> ::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
>
> fe00::0 ipv6-localnet
>
> ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts
>
> 192.168.1.102 linux.local linux
> linux:~ #
>

> I've been having lots of fun with Oracle! Only problem is, I seem to be
> missing the search to find the correct /etc/services entries, to verify
what
> these should be. SuSE in their infinite wisdom have given me these
settings
> in /etc/services :
>
> linux:~ # grep -i oracle /etc/services
> sql*net 66/tcp # Oracle SQL*NET
> sql*net 66/udp # Oracle SQL*NET
> orasrv 1525/tcp # oracle
> orasrv 1525/udp # oracle
> tlisrv 1527/tcp # oracle
> tlisrv 1527/udp # oracle
> coauthor 1529/tcp # oracle
> coauthor 1529/udp # oracle
> rdb-dbs-disp 1571/tcp # Oracle Remote Data Base
> rdb-dbs-disp 1571/udp # Oracle Remote Data Base
> oraclenames 1575/tcp # oraclenames
> oraclenames 1575/udp # oraclenames
> oraclenet8cman 1630/tcp # Oracle Net8 Cman
> oraclenet8cman 1630/udp # Oracle Net8 Cman
> oracle-em1 1748/tcp # oracle-em1
> oracle-em1 1748/udp # oracle-em1
> oracle-em2 1754/tcp # oracle-em2
> oracle-em2 1754/udp # oracle-em2
> oracle-vp2 1808/tcp # Oracle-VP2
> oracle-vp2 1808/udp # Oracle-VP2
> oracle-vp1 1809/tcp # Oracle-VP1
> oracle-vp1 1809/udp # Oracle-VP1
> net8-cman 1830/tcp # Oracle Net8 CMan Admin
> net8-cman 1830/udp # Oracle Net8 CMan Admin
> oracle 2005/udp
> giop 2481/tcp # Oracle GIOP
> giop 2481/udp # Oracle GIOP
> giop-ssl 2482/tcp # Oracle GIOP SSL
> giop-ssl 2482/udp # Oracle GIOP SSL
> ttc 2483/tcp # Oracle TTC
> ttc-ssl 2484/tcp # Oracle TTC SSL
> ttc-ssl 2484/udp # Oracle TTC SSL
> linux:~ #
>
> You'll notice 1521 conspicuously absent. I grepped for 1521 and guess
what
> I find:
>
> linux:~ # grep -i 1521 /etc/services
> ncube-lm 1521/tcp # nCube License Manager
> ncube-lm 1521/udp # nCube License Manager
> linux:~ #
>
> Can somebody tell me what /etc/services SHOULD HAVE???
>
> Is there a documentation/reference location to tell me what these other
> service entries are? This seems to be FAQ material, but didn't see it.

First of all,
Instead of reading 15 books, the only book you should really read is the net8 administrators manual. Makes sense doesn't it? Alternatively you may try the 'Getting started manual'

Now for your services list

 linux:~ # grep -i oracle /etc/services
these 2 lines are just *bogus*

 sql*net          66/tcp                 # Oracle SQL*NET
 sql*net          66/udp                 # Oracle SQL*NET

This is sqlnet *1*

The IANA assigned ports for sqlnet 2 are 1521 and 1526
> orasrv 1525/tcp # oracle
> orasrv 1525/udp # oracle

Not sure what these are
> tlisrv 1527/tcp # oracle
> tlisrv 1527/udp # oracle
> coauthor 1529/tcp # oracle
> coauthor 1529/udp # oracle

Oracle RdB:

> rdb-dbs-disp 1571/tcp # Oracle Remote Data Base
> rdb-dbs-disp 1571/udp # Oracle Remote Data Base

Oracle Names
> oraclenames 1575/tcp # oraclenames
> oraclenames 1575/udp # oraclenames

Oracle Net8 Connection Manager
> oraclenet8cman 1630/tcp # Oracle Net8 Cman
> oraclenet8cman 1630/udp # Oracle Net8 Cman

Oracle Enterprise Manager

> oracle-em1 1748/tcp # oracle-em1
> oracle-em1 1748/udp # oracle-em1
> oracle-em2 1754/tcp # oracle-em2
> oracle-em2 1754/udp # oracle-em2

Not sure what these are
> oracle-vp2 1808/tcp # Oracle-VP2
> oracle-vp2 1808/udp # Oracle-VP2
> oracle-vp1 1809/tcp # Oracle-VP1
> oracle-vp1 1809/udp # Oracle-VP1
net8 connection manager administrator
> net8-cman 1830/tcp # Oracle Net8 CMan Admin
> net8-cman 1830/udp # Oracle Net8 CMan Admin

Unsure
> oracle 2005/udp

Needed for giop /web connections
> giop 2481/tcp # Oracle GIOP
> giop 2481/udp # Oracle GIOP
> giop-ssl 2482/tcp # Oracle GIOP SSL
> giop-ssl 2482/udp # Oracle GIOP SSL
> ttc 2483/tcp # Oracle TTC
> ttc-ssl 2484/tcp # Oracle TTC SSL
> ttc-ssl 2484/udp # Oracle TTC SSL
> linux:~ #

Now if you would only post listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora I might be able to resolve it for you.
These should use linux.local as host as localhost will work on the server only.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sun Sep 30 2001 - 15:40:34 CDT