SuSE Linux 7.2 /etc/services and Oracle 9i - Help!

From: Tim Schaefer <tim_at_datad.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 12:27:53 -0400

Hi all,

Once again, after perusing no less than 15 books I cannot find a reference of what the correct /etc/services file entries SHOULD BE. After having successfully installed the 9i engine on SuSE 7.2 and see it running, corrected
the /etc/init.d/dbora script, ( thanks Trifon! ) I __still__ cannot connect via
the listener.

What have I tried?

o played with lsnrctl extensively to no success o played with tnslsnr and the *.ora files in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin o played with netca
o played with netmgr
o played with yast settings for network

All give me consistently the ORA-12560 error.

/etc/hosts:

linux:~ # cat /etc/hosts
#
# hosts This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
# mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem. It is mostly
# used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
# On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
# "named" name server.
# Syntax:
#
# IP-Address Full-Qualified-Hostname Short-Hostname
#

127.0.0.1 localhost

# special IPv6 addresses

::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

fe00::0 ipv6-localnet

ff00::0         ipv6-mcastprefix
ff02::1         ipv6-allnodes
ff02::2         ipv6-allrouters
ff02::3         ipv6-allhosts

192.168.1.102   linux.local     linux

linux:~ #

I've been having lots of fun with Oracle! Only problem is, I seem to be missing the search to find the correct /etc/services entries, to verify what these should be. SuSE in their infinite wisdom have given me these settings in /etc/services :

linux:~ # grep -i oracle /etc/services

sql*net          66/tcp                 # Oracle SQL*NET
sql*net          66/udp                 # Oracle SQL*NET
orasrv          1525/tcp                        # oracle
orasrv          1525/udp                        # oracle
tlisrv          1527/tcp                        # oracle
tlisrv          1527/udp                        # oracle
coauthor        1529/tcp                        # oracle
coauthor        1529/udp                        # oracle
rdb-dbs-disp    1571/tcp                        # Oracle Remote Data Base
rdb-dbs-disp    1571/udp                        # Oracle Remote Data Base
oraclenames     1575/tcp                        # oraclenames
oraclenames     1575/udp                        # oraclenames
oraclenet8cman  1630/tcp                        # Oracle Net8 Cman
oraclenet8cman  1630/udp                        # Oracle Net8 Cman
oracle-em1      1748/tcp                        # oracle-em1
oracle-em1      1748/udp                        # oracle-em1
oracle-em2      1754/tcp                        # oracle-em2
oracle-em2      1754/udp                        # oracle-em2
oracle-vp2      1808/tcp                        # Oracle-VP2
oracle-vp2      1808/udp                        # Oracle-VP2
oracle-vp1      1809/tcp                        # Oracle-VP1
oracle-vp1      1809/udp                        # Oracle-VP1
net8-cman       1830/tcp                        # Oracle Net8 CMan Admin
net8-cman       1830/udp                        # Oracle Net8 CMan Admin
oracle          2005/udp
giop            2481/tcp                        # Oracle GIOP
giop            2481/udp                        # Oracle GIOP
giop-ssl        2482/tcp                        # Oracle GIOP SSL
giop-ssl        2482/udp                        # Oracle GIOP SSL
ttc             2483/tcp                        # Oracle TTC
ttc-ssl         2484/tcp                        # Oracle TTC SSL
ttc-ssl         2484/udp                        # Oracle TTC SSL
linux:~ #

You'll notice 1521 conspicuously absent. I grepped for 1521 and guess what I find:

linux:~ # grep -i 1521 /etc/services

ncube-lm        1521/tcp                        # nCube License Manager
ncube-lm        1521/udp                        # nCube License Manager
linux:~ #

Can somebody tell me what /etc/services SHOULD HAVE???

Is there a documentation/reference location to tell me what these other service entries are? This seems to be FAQ material, but didn't see it.

Thanks,

Tim Schaefer
Data Design Technologies, Inc.
http://www.datad.com Received on Sun Sep 30 2001 - 11:27:53 CDT