What is meant by "full table scan?"

From: VWP914 <vwp914_at_aol.com>
Date: 29 Sep 2001 17:35:32 GMT

I often find the phrase "full table scan" used when refering to the database buffer cache. You can specify CACHE on table creation and the blocks (for full table scans) are placed at the MRU end of the list, as opposed to being put at the end. Does a full table scan occur when you query up everything, like 'select * from emp'? Does it refer to all columns, or all rows, or both?

I am trying to figure out when I should specify CACHE as opposed to the default.

If anyone can shed some light...

Thanks Received on Sat Sep 29 2001 - 12:35:32 CDT