Re: Strategy question for 24X7, how to do cold backups?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:36:39 +1000

"Galen Boyer" <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:u1yktsxon.fsf_at_verizon.net...
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, richard.armstrong_at_juno.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> > You don't need to keep all of the archived redo logs from day
> > one. Database changes are flushed from memory to disk
> > regularly and you only need to keep archived logs containing
> > changes that that have not yet been applied to the data files
> > on your latest backup.
>
> Well, if one is 24x7, how does anything other than the first cold
> backup from day #1 actually exist?

Alter tablespace blah begin backup;
copy c:\datafile.dbf d:\datafile.bkp
Alter tablespace blah end backup.

Voila. You now have a new backup of that datafile, and the database was hot throughout.

> > Standby database is very useful but I believe the standby
> > instance can't normally be used so the standby machine is idle
> > during normal operation.
>
> In this scenario, I would think that a standby database could be
> used to actually do the cold backups after day #1 as well as
> applying redo logs forward for so that a downed instance can come
> back online very quickly by switching to the standby. Which, I
> would assume, at that time becomes the primary and once the
> downed instance is up, this becomes the secondary.

Don't go there. Standby Databases need heaps and heaps and heaps of maintenance. They are not there as a backup strategy.

HJR