Re: data block cache algorithm and cache hit or not

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:43:16 +1000

"FaheemRao" <faheemrao_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:43b58913.0109280003.1d688d02_at_posting.google.com...
> One important thing you are missing that when you say Commit , all the
> Dirt duffer(changed)in the Database buffer cache are written to disk
> as well.
>
> just want to add some thing to Lawrence's answer

It would, however, be really nice if you added something that was correct. What you have posted here is about as inaccurate as it is possible to get. Specifically, a commit most definitely does NOT induce DBWR to flush anything at all out of the Buffer Cache.

Apart from being 100% wrong, I guess you were close.

HJR

> > Case 1
> > What you say is basically correct. If you queried the recently modified
rows
> > you would get a high cache hit ratio. But this is dependent on the size
of
> > your database buffers and your block size.
> >

> > > Case2 : Select Operation
> > Results from Select are cached. So when run for the second time a query
will
> > have a higher hit ratio unless it is long running and has a large result
set
> > in which case some blocks would have been placed in the LRU (least
Recently
> > Used) heap and therefore would have to be re-read. Also, on subsequent
runs
> > of the query a parsed version would exist in the Shared Sql Area so it
wont
> > be parsed again.
> >
> > You can calculate your hit ratio with the formula given in the Tuning
Manual

> > e.g.
> > SELECT NAME, VALUE
> > FROM V$SYSSTAT
> > WHERE upper(NAME) IN ('DB BLOCK GETS', 'CONSISTENT GETS', 'PHYSICAL
READS')