Re: No errors shown after Compiled with errors message

From: Igor Laletin <ilaletin_at_usa.net>
Date: 26 Sep 2001 19:54:48 -0700

Looks like my prev message didn't make it through :( OK, once more...

The short answer is: because you use '"' around schema and package names.

> 2. Well, I have successfully created another package also with SYSADM
> user having DBA permissions. I have tried to create the package
> "SYSADM"."S" under SYS and SYSTEM accounts.

So you created a package S in schema SYSADM while connected as someone else
 with CREATE/ALTER ANY PROCEDURE privileges (e.g. SYSTEM). Of course there is no any errors in USER_ERRORS, you should use ALL_ERRORS or
DBA_ERRORS (if allowed) instead. BTW SYSADM having DBA has nothing to do with that.

> 3. Is there a syntax error using `"` characters around the username and
> package name?
> 3. None it reports of. Another package body created as "SYSADM"."ISN"
> gave no syntax error.

It's not a syntax error. '"' is used to preserve case-sensitivity in a name
or when object name is a reserved word. Both are bad idea anyway. Some tools transparently
enclose schema and object names into '"'. I bet you took your script out of one of them.

Sqlplus is not smart enough to get rid of '"' when selecting from ALL_ERRORS. If you trace your
session you'll find out that it does the following select:

SELECT TO_CHAR(LINE)||'/'||TO_CHAR(POSITION) "LINE/COL", TEXT "ERROR" FROM ALL_ERRORS A

WHERE  A.NAME = '"S"'
  AND  A.TYPE = 'PACKAGE BODY'
  AND  A.OWNER = '"SYSADM"'

ORDER BY LINE, POSITION Schema "SYSADM" or package "S" don't exist so you get "No errors." message.

Regards,
Igor.