Re: storage in import

From: Niall Litchfield <Niall.Litchfield_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 20:09:53 +0100

I think Sunday evening is a record even for me but there's nothing on the telly anyway.
"Kenneth Koenraadt" <plovmand_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3bacc043.2026555_at_news.mobilixnet.dk...
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:10:13 GMT, bettati_at_infinito.it (andy) wrote:
<snip>
> Hi Andy,
>
> A table always has a minimal size of it's INITIAL extent size, even if
> it is empty. That is of course also true regarding an import.
<true>

> Look inside the export dump file and the INITIAL storage parameter of
> the tables listed in it. You may change/reduce them by editing
> directly in the export dump file..... but be careful.

Be careful!!!! Be careful!!! Be out of your mind more like. export files are not for editing. Ever. Nope not even with a hex editor.

On the other hand the initial and next extents of an imported table can be readily controlled using any of the highly attractive options below.

  1. exp compress=n. this leaves initial and next as originally defined. I have said before and I'll say again this should be the default. behaviour.
  2. pre create the tables with whatever storage parameters you like and then import with ignore=y.
  3. As of 8i and up. precreate your tablespaces as locally managed with uniform extent sizes of whatever you like.Oracle will then ignore the extent allocation clause during the import. however I think (i'm not going to look it up on technet that'd just be too sad for words) that it will allocate a number of extents sufficient to allocate the space specified in the dump file. This is not what the original poster wanted.

you may of course mix and match options 2 & 3.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission UK Received on Sun Sep 23 2001 - 14:09:53 CDT