Re: Duplicate procedures in package

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <plovmand_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:52:22 GMT

On 21 Sep 2001 14:05:14 -0700, fornewsgroups_at_vikas.mailshell.com (Vikas Agnihotri) wrote:

>I have a procedure defined in the package header. Unintentionally, I
>defined this procedure twice in the package body, with different
>parameters. Of course, it compiles fine because Oracle allows
>parameter overloading.
>
>When I do a DESC on the package in SQL*Plus, I see that the procedure
>is listed only once.
>
>But when I browse this package in a GUI tool like TOAD or EZSQL, etc,
>I see that the procedure is listed twice!
>
>Any idea why this would be so? How do GUI tools construct their
>screens? I would expect they just dump 'select text from *_source
>where name=...', right?
>
>Comments? Thanks

When a procedure is defined in the package body but NOT in the package specification (or header, if you want), that procedure is private for that package, i.e it can only be called from another procedure of the package.

DESC <package> obviously only lists the public procedures of the packages, not the private ones.

GUI tools are all different. Some may show all the procedures and some only the public ones, like SQL*PLUS.

Regards,
Kenneth Koenraadt
Systems Consultant
Oracle DBA