Re: perplexing problem....

From: Calvin Crumrine <Calvin_Crumrine_at_dced.state.ak.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:40:00 -0800

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> I just "shudder". you are NOT using bind variables which is perhaps the single
> most important things ALL applications should do. That statement should be:
>
> begin procedure( :x, :y, :z ); end;
>
> with the strings and numbers bound to x, y, z. Your system will need tons less
> ram and lots less CPU.

Personally, I prefer efficiency in coding/maintenance over efficiency in RAM and CPU cycles and bind variables always seemed complicated to me. I find it cheaper to add RAM and CPU cycles than to hire another programmer. Of course it all depends on how you measure efficiency-I think of it in terms of budget impact. How can I get the most work done with the smallest budget?

I think bind variables are fine in stable apps, but not necessarily in all apps. Received on Wed Sep 19 2001 - 12:40:00 CDT