V$FILESTAT Average Write Times

From: Ethan Post <Blah_at_Blah.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:36:21 GMT

I have a number of databases I am responsible and I am starting to look at average file write times in V$FILESTAT. Some of the systems are using EMC and some are using IBM's Shark disk storage system. I am seeing average write times in the .5 to 1 second range on most of the systems. This seems high but I am dealing with an ERP application that heavily indexes tables. The systems are RAID 0+1 as far as I know. Read times are usually .002-.009 seconds. What type of average write times are you used to seeing and would this concern you. No one is complaining and I have not noticed any real slowdowns. One of the systems with an exceptionally high average write time is experiencing a redo log bottleneck. Would this increase the average write time in v$filestat? Do the disk systems write cache skew these statistics?

Thanks,
Ethan Post Received on Wed Sep 19 2001 - 10:36:21 CDT