Re: 8.1.7.x, ARCHIVELOG & a NetApp Filer

From: Martin Mattel <mmattel_at_netapp.com>
Date: 14 Sep 2001 08:21:01 -0700

"Raptorfan" <raptorfan_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<tpq1i2atrrna26_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> Hi. Hoping someone can help me a little. I'm the Unix admin of our site, not
> the DBA, and I'm a little disturbed by our DBA's resistance on a few things.
> Hope someone can offer their opinions.
>
> We have Oracle databases served by Alphas and sitting on a NetApp filer.
> What I understand, we run in NOARCHIVELOG mode. Our backup strategy is
> nightly exports of the databases which are then shoved to tape. Well, I've
> been tasked with reviewing a purchase request for a redundant Filer with
> NetApp's SnapMirror product. NetApp (from everything I read) suggests
> running your databases in ARCHIVELOG mode and storing archive/redo logs on
> their own separate volume. What I think I understand is the only redo logs
> really needed are ones where the sequence number is greater than the
> sequence number in any datafile. NetApp appears to reccomend something like
> a full-DB snapshot at one time interval (4-8 hours or greater) and a
> snapshot of the archive/redo logs at a more frequent interval (1 hour or
> less, depedent on urgency).
>
> Now, my "look he's an idiot" questions:
> * Would I REALLY have to keep all archive/redo logfiles since the last cold
> backup? Or would maintaining logs from the previous 5-7 days in a standalone
> snapshotted volume suffice? Keep in mind this is a principally failover
> system, not a full-out backup system.
> * Our DBA is more inclined to leave things alone (NOARCHIVELOG) and snapshot
> the entire database at greater frequency. Opinions? (mine says this approach
> sucks, but not being too Oracle wise has me grasping at the reasons).
> * Has anyone else implemented SnapMirror? Opinions, good or bad? (email
> unless you want to share with the group).
> * What else should I consider?
>
> Any assistance anyone can provide would be appreciated. I've had this thrust
> upon me with no Oracle background and no Filer background (the training
> class is next month).
>
> -r

Hi,

I would recommend you using ArchiveMode.

It is the only way to garantee a recover from a corrupt/defect database AND you can snaprestore it with or without roll forward.

Also beeing in Archivemode is the only way to recover a database beeing snapmirrored.

2 volumes data, log
2 filers with only data volume mirrored

duplexing logs and archs.

This makes you mirroring (disaster is now a hot theme) with minimum costs AND the guarantee beeing up tu the last transaction (including)

the archives are moved away to tape

I did it at a customer side with a 230 GB SAP Orcale DB

Have fun and take care
MM Received on Fri Sep 14 2001 - 10:21:01 CDT