On the fly import decompress problem

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:31:25 +0100

So after a fortnight in Mauritius, I get back to work and this happens :

Operating System : HP UX 11:00 32 bit
Oracle version : 8.0.6.1.1

I was requested to defrag the free space on a very large tablespace (but all files < 2 Gb)

I exported via a pipe which compresses on the fly to a disc file. The gzipped output file is 5 gig in size and it lives in a file system which has large file support enabled. No errors reported by exp or by gzip. Data was then dropped from the user involved. Tablespace was then defragged (over 250,000 fragments in dba_free_space !) - we built this from a cold backup of a customer database - they don't have a DBA :o(
I then tried to re-import via the gunzip process, but gunzip doesn't want to know - gives me an unknown error.

This leaves me in a bit of a mess. I know it isn't an Oracle problem, but maybe some of you have a work around.

How can I get my data back out of the gzip file ? I'm going to try an FTP to my windows PC and try to use WinZip but I suspect it will overwhelm my 400 Mhz processor and memory etc.

Cheers,
Norman.

PS. I now think I need another holiday!

Norman Dunbar			EMail:	Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	URL:	http://www.Lynx-FS.com