Re: instance loaded from .ASP

From: Cristian Veronesi <c.veronesi_at_crpa.it>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:14:51 +0200

Bill Weaver wrote:

> does anyone know how to detect if an instance of a database is running from
> an active server page
>
> I want to check to see if the database is running before trying to SELECT
> data from it. I could just try doing the SELECT and look at the error msg
> that comes back - but that takes a long time to come back.
>
> is there a quick/immediate way to detect if a database is loaded ?

Perhaps by trying to open a socket on Oracle Net port (usually 1526) first? If the Net listener is not running, the server should answer immediately that connection cannot be established.

Just my 2 cents... I don't know how to do that in VB, but in Java is very simple.

Best regards

--
Cristian Veronesi ><((((º> http://www.crpa.it

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu)..." [Linus Torvalds, comp.os.minix, 25-08-1991]