Re: What are Oracle Cartridges ??

From: Frank <franjoe_at_frisurf.no>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:46:02 +0200

Hi!

A cartridge can represent a class(TYPE) for a complex business object in your application, for which there are no straight forward way of representing it with "simple" data types in Oracle. The cartridge provider may have created logic that can can create a index perfectly suited for the business object. The vendor may also have created logic to compute statistic based on information on a column with this type. The Oracle database will be able to use the vendors fine tuned index solution instead of Oracle's standard indexes, also Oracle's optimizer may choose to use the statistic information provided by the vendors logic.

This logic may be implemented in Java, PLSQL, C(++) through external procedures, and the indexes may be placed outside the database if the vendor have found that better.

Frank