Re: Back to the future

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:33:36 +0100

Absolutely. Especialy if the problem occurs on a production database at say 3:30pm on a thursday, but doesn't get noticed until 12pm on a friday. You can absolutely gurantee that a recover to 3:30pm will piss off a large number of users just in time for the weekend. For this reason this course of action is only recommended for your favourite developers machine <g>.

More seriously we have been in the state where a point in time recovery was exactly the correct thing to do, however the management decision to OK this course of action took 6 hours, at which point of course I had 'changed my mind' leading to 'how can we rely on your advice if you change it from hour to hour'. ah well.

Point in time recovery is a powerful feature, but like most powerful features it is unlikely to be used very often.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA