Re: Back to the future

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 14:35:50 GMT

On Wed, 05 Sep 2001 22:24:14 +0800, Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote:

>On the other hand, the point-in-time approach does have the problem of
>losing all transations happening after that 'point'.

Bingo! :-)

>Therefore, I
>wonder whether we have to rebuild the point-in-time database somewhere
>else, and copy the necessary pieces back to the production database.

That's one way of doing it, indeed. One of the reasons too why even with archive log on, I still like to take exports daily. Whenever the size of DB and window available lets me.

Many times it's easier to just load an export into a dev or test database, find a way of patching up the problem without having to copy the lot and then apply the patch to the production data. Depending on type of application, of course.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Sep 05 2001 - 09:35:50 CDT