Re: Back to the future

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 14:04:24 GMT

On Wed, 05 Sep 2001 20:44:25 +0800, Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote:

>I am bothered by this thought, anyone enlightens me? Thanks in
>advance.

You can use log miner to find out when things happened. But what is relevant here is:

The whole purpose of recovery with redo logs is to let you get things back after *storage hardware* failure. Not software or user error.

If you want to get just one object back, you're going the wrong way about it by relying on redo log based, point in time recovery. It was not designed to do that.

Let's look at your case: what business does a user have in "dropping a table" or even "deleting its entire contents", in a production environment? What, we let users have that kind of access now? See what I mean?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Sep 05 2001 - 09:04:24 CDT