Back to the future

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 20:44:25 +0800

Dear all,

I've just studied the backup and recovery part, and I learned about the incomplete recovery and realize that the database can roll forward from a baseline backup using log files, this is like 'going back to the future'. We can issue 'recover database until canel' to roll forward to a point in time. However, without 'WYSWYG' and 'rewind' functions, I would assume it's difficult to reach the exact point in time. For example, your user tells you he inadvertently dropped a table at around 10:00, but nobody knows the exact time, when you recover to the 10:00 point, you cannot see the data on the run because the database is not opened yet. If the actual time is 09:50, and you open the database at the 10:00 point (resetlog), only to see the table is still missing, you can do nothing except to start over again. This is just like when the police is investigating on a robery case, they check the video tape trying to get to the point in time, with 'WYSWYG' and forward/backward functions, it's quite easy. But without 'WYSWYG' and backward functions, it's time-consuming to narrow the way down there.

I am bothered by this thought, anyone enlightens me? Thanks in advance.

Dino Received on Wed Sep 05 2001 - 07:44:25 CDT