Re: How to find out the current time zone in Oracle?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 3 Sep 2001 05:35:12 -0700

nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam (Nuno Souto) wrote in message news:<3b918d34.1648569_at_news>...
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 10:13:20 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
>

> >That has to be the silliest argument against 9i I've heard of in a long
> >time. Now if you were to mention the words 'initial release', I might
> >understand. But 'proprietary'??!
>
> Never underestimate the potential of management for sheer raw
> stupidity.

In this group where majority are techies, I'll try impossible - defend management. :-)
We're running our databases on Oracle 8.0.5. We're starting upgrade project, probably we'll move to 8.1.7, some techies want to go to 9i, but I'm against.
I agree that "proprietary" is stupid, but I take care about words "initial release" and that's the point.
Maybe after half or one year I will decide that new upgrade to 9i is a good idea, but not right now. I understand that 9i has a lot of new great feature, but for us it's far too new stuff. And with the new stuff comes the problems. And there is only one thing that management hates more than problem and that's the big problem. :-)
Maybe the performance of 9i with new features is better, but word "performance" is not the one I want to hear. I want to hear "reliability" and "security".
Because if I lack of perfomance it can be bad, but I can move on. However if I lacks reliability I'm deep in trouble, because that makes difficulties to business and that makes some people uneasy and they will came here and use a loud voice and say thing that I don't want to hear.
Security is something that I don't need to mention, because I'm in banking sector.
Conclusion is that is great that Oracle has developed new great product - Oracle 9i and after some time when 9i proves reliability, I will be happy to have this SW on our boxes.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader