Re: Does Oralce 9 supports Java Objects ?

From: Sebastiano Pilla <etechweb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:10:36 +0200

Francesco Marchioni <fmarchioni_at_libero.it> wrote:

> Hi and thanks for answering.
> > That is possible now with 8i, but again more flexible in 9i. You can
> > move objects directly as parameters between Java and ORACLE using
> > JDBC.
> Yes and that's what is used now to map Java classes to Oracle, but what I'd
> rather know is if it's possible to map complex Java Objects directly to
> Oracle.
> This way Application Servers (like the one built-in Oracle) could map
> this Objects to Java Applications without the need of a conversion.
> It's also called native mapping.

If you really have a need for this, you should investigate some of the Java-based OODB (forgot their names, but check <http://www.cetus-links.org> for references.

If you want to read more about object-relational mapping, have a look at the "Mapping Objects to Relational Databases" and "The Design of a Robust Persistence Layer for Relational Databases" papers available at <http://www.ambysoft.com>. If you don't scream in horror at some of the statement of these papers, then perhaps you really have a need for an OODB :-) If you want to see how a persistence layer should be done, check out the ACS Persistence system at <http://www.arsdigita.com/asj/>. Let's hope they don't ruin their product by going too far on some fashionable O-R mapping ideas. Received on Sun Sep 02 2001 - 08:10:36 CDT