Re: How should passwords be stored in a database?

From: <lbudney-usenet_at_nb.net>
Date: 02 Sep 2001 08:10:53 -0400

Bernd Eckenfels <ecki_at_lina.inka.de> writes:
> In comp.security.unix lbudney-usenet_at_nb.net wrote:

>> No he's not. He's referring to things like: passwords for access to web-
>> based services. They're usually stored in the clear inside the DB, since
>> the web developers don't know what they're doing.

> Well, if you are using Challenge-Response Authentication then you need to
> store the password in clear.

That's incorrect. See <http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~tjw/srp/>.

It's also very, very wrong. Storing passwords in the clear should NEVER be done by a server under ANY circumstances, PERIOD. One reason I already gave: users reuse passwords. If you store a person's password, and it happens to be the same as his Net Banking password, YOU share culpability for misuse of that information resulting from compromise of your security.

Another reason is that it's stupid: one successful crack compromises ALL user accounts.

Another is that storing passwords in the clear means that YOUR employees can impersonate your customers. Since the majority of security breaches are actually due to disgruntled employees, this is a serious issue.

--Len.

--
Frugal Tip #29:
Every other day put your shoes on the wrong feet so that they wear