Re: Installing Names Server without graphical tools

From: Graham Thornton <graham.thornton_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:33:37 -0500

Katja,

This is the syntax for registering database entries using the NAMESCTL tool:

This example is taken from Oracle 8.0.5 on OpenVMS with no region database and no GUI:

NAMECTL> register <db name>.<domain> -t oracle_database -d (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(
Total response time: 0.07 seconds
Response status: normal, successful completion

NAMESCTL is very fussy about the spacing - and do not put any carrige returns in the string or it will fail.
Also, NAMESCTL is case sensitive.

On the OpenVMS port, the Name Server will not save the information to the checkpoint file until you shut
down the Name Server. Using save_config does nothing.

BTW: If you set NAMESCTL.INTERNAL_USE = TRUE in your SQLNET.ORA file, you can also use
this command to create an alias for your databases:

NAMESCTL> _create_name <alias name>.<domain> Total response time: 0 seconds
Response status: normal, successful completion

Response status: normal, successful completion

As for checkpoint file replication - I have never tried that one. If you get it to work please let me know.

Hope that helps

Graham