Re: How to populate column changes system-wide?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:59:31 +0800

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:04:40 GMT, nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam (Nuno Souto) wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:50:36 +0800, Dino Hsu
><dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote:
>
>>As we know that types can be defined as objects in Oracle, but we
>>don't see they function as the middle layer as does the package (which
>>can store their data either in SQL Server or Oracle). Does anyone know
>>how to do this in Oracle without any on-top-of-it package?
>
>The Object relational manual in th standard ORACLE distribution
>discusses this very same subject at length and with plenty of
>examples. I suggest a gander that way. Fully supported. And you can
>even refer to them from Java through JDBC! Try that with SS...
>

>>One more question, anyone remember when the 'alter table add / modify
>
>Version 4.
>
>>/ drop column'
>
>Version 8i.
>

>Cheers
>Nuno Souto
>nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam

Dear Nuno & all,

I have spent hours reading the Application Guide - Object Relational Features, I have found nothing related to my underlined question, just explanations about objects, types, methods, attributes, references, collections, etc.. Can you give more specific information?

An object model is usually meant to hold the business logic (thus objects) and stand as the middle tier between application client and database server, however, it takes more time to plan a 3-tier architecture (object-oriented or object-based) than 2-tier (relational), I wonder how many businesses have done this. As to the object model provided by Oracle, I also wonder how many of Oracle users directly utilize it in their applications, because many applications, such as Axapta, will utilize their own object model solutions (an application server or an object model server) instead of utilizing the one provided by the database. In short, I would doubt that databases today are used more relationally than used object-orientedly.

By the way, I remember in a Data Warehousing/Mining seminar, the concept of 'data administrator' (not 'database administrator') is defined. A data administrator is, unlike a DBA, not preferrably a technical person, and is responble for modling the business meta-data. The reason is simple, the meta-data is meant to be shared and understood by all departments, not by IT alone. Again, I wonder how many businesses have done this.

Any comments about the above-mentioned topics are highly appreciated.

Dino Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 22:59:31 CDT