Re: Has anybody an idea? (ORA-00600)

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 19:01:36 GMT

Harald Buesching wrote:

> We are running Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 on NT.
> After I fixed a problem on the rollback-segments size, we sometimes have
> problem with truncates.
> Error message:
>
> 21.08.2001 01:10:43 Activity started
> 21.08.2001 01:11:13 Error: ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments:
> [kcbget_18], [2], [8478100], [7], [], [], [], [], Connector 'DWHOracle',
> Method -Action [Truncate]- (600)
> 21.08.2001 01:11:17 Activity Ended With An Error
>
> We using Lotus Notes for transferring data into Oracle, so I can't do a
> 'DELETE'
> Furthermore some truncates may run at the same time. (I never have problems
> with the manual restarts!)
> I read the newsgroup, found a somehow similar problem, and made a quick
> rebuild
> of the RBS, but no improvemtents.
> It could also be a problem with the RAID-5 system, but I doubt this, because
> the problems appeared after my size changing of the RBS.
>
> All suggestions are welcome!
> Harald Buesching.

Hi Harold,

While it is true that you should call Oracle support on any ORA-600 issues, it is not always possible if you don't have a support contract especially if you are doing development work on the versions downloaded from technet.

With that in mind, our approach is to try and determine which statement caused the problem and whether or not we have the latest patches/versions of the software.

The first can be answered by going through the $ORACLE_BASE/admin "database_name"/bdump/alert_ORCL.log file. There you will find the startup and running information for your DB as well as the switching of the logs. Then you'll see the first of many messages regarding the ORA-00600 along with a message indicating where to find further errors: ie:
Fri Jul 27 12:59:14 2001
Errors in file /oracle/admin/ue3500/udump/orcl_ora_20405.trc: ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [12700], [7602], [21042927], [73], [], [], [], []

Just go to the trace file and page through the heaps and heaps of data until you find the statement that caused the problem. it might be close to the beginning or about 1/3 of the way down through the dump.

Hopefully you can talk to the person that ran the command, because the machine from where the command will also be there somewhere and get some context from them.

You can then see if it is repeatable if necessary or if it was some highly unusual event. Hopefully identifying where in your code the problem statement originated.

The second issue, about your software version can be covered by going to http://metalink.orcle.com (assuming you have online support) and download the latest patches for your version of Oracle. Also you can go to http://technet.oracle.com and download new versions of the DB (as long as you're doing development and not deploying it). There used to be an ftp.oracle.com but apparently it has gone away.

Good luck,
-Dirk Received on Wed Aug 22 2001 - 14:01:36 CDT