Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:52:30 GMT

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Darcy wrote:

> Okay, I let the first couple go, but I think that now I am going to
> comment on my "experience". At the point in time when I took this job, I
> had not installed either DB2 or Oracle on _any_ platform. So I had a
> _severe_ lack of experience with installing both DB2 and Oracle. As I said
> before, I found DB2 much easier to install, while I had severe
> difficulties with Oracle. I did get Oracle working on RedHat 6.x, but when
> we switched to Redhat 7.0, I couldn't get it working (even though I
> followed the same procedures that I had used with my previous version of
> RedHat). So, yes, I did have a lack of experience with both DB2 and Oracle
> installation. I was able to install DB2 much faster and easier than
> Oracle.

  1. Check for TMP_DIR in the documentation and define it. If it's required, the link phase will fail without it.
  2. Red Hat 7 requires patches. Check elsewhere in this group for more info. Red Hat support is being phased-out anyway.
  3. Oracle installers have a reputation for driving users to drink. Once it's installed, however, Oracle is rock-solid.
   / Charles J. Fisher                  | "You may break your heart, but     /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org                |  men will still go on as before." /
 /   http://rhadmin.org                 |   -Marcus Aurelius               /