Re: Temporary tablespaces

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_brandeis.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:15:03 -0400

> 'create tablespace temp ... temporary'
>
> and
>
> create temporary tablespace temp ...'
>
> The former uses datafiles, the latter uses tempfile. In either case,
> permanent objects cannot be stored. The latter stores objects only for
> the duration of a session.

As far as I know the first syntax was valid in Oracle 7.3+ & Oracle8, the second syntax came w/ Oracle8i. The practical diff. is that CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE... requires that you use tempfiles not datafiles & the tablespace will be locally-managed -- which means all space managment is done using a bitmap within the tablespace instead of in the data dictionary. The advantage is that tempfiles do *NOT* need to be backed up *ever* (in fact the media recovery process doesn't even recognize them -- the db knows such a tablespace exists but you add the tempfiles after the recovery is done) & local management is more efficient. Received on Wed Aug 22 2001 - 10:15:03 CDT