Re: Question on tablespace/file allocation

From: Marcia Thomasson <marcia_at_nospam.solcominc.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:16:59 -0500

> > I have gone through the excercise of sizing each table and allocating
the
> > appropriate amount of space for it when it is created, and I have also
> added
> > up the total amount of space I need for each tablespace and created the
> > tablespace with that amount of space in two files (with the amount
divided
> > by 2). I have also done this for my indexes.
>
> Sizing the tables is a good exercise, but what do you mean by 'allocating
> the appropriate amount of space'. If you just mean make sure the
tablespace
> is bigger than the total size of the objects to be stored in it then that
is
> good. If however you mean create the table with an initial extent equal to
> the expected size of the data then that is bad. You should be using
uniform
> extent sizes within a tablespace.

Why is it bad to create the table with an initial extent equal to the expected size of the data? The potential sizes of my tables could vary widely within a tablespace, why would I want to allocate the same extent sizes for all of them? Wouldn't that lead to either a) way too much space being allocated for some tables (if I err'ed on the "large" side) or b) tables being fragmented (if I err'ed on the "small" side)? Received on Wed Aug 22 2001 - 10:16:59 CDT