Re: Oracle Past and Present...

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 Aug 2001 06:29:57 -0700

nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam (Nuno Souto) wrote in message news:<3b837e50.801680_at_news>...
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:54:14 -0400, "Scott Watson"
> <swatson_at_datachest.com> wrote:

  snip most of previous post as not necessary and to save reading

> That unfortunately is only gonna get worse. I think they should
> "partition" it more than just EE and SE, though. Agree partially
> here.

With 8i and now 9i Oracle is taking add on type features such as those used by OLAP and warehouse tools and building them into the kernal. In this case the example would be the Analytic functions added with 8.1.6. The point of having them in the kernal is performance according to Oracle. And I believe you are right that it is only going to get worse, as no doubt more features will be added with each release. We as DBA's and developers are just going to have to spend more time learning the product in order to support applications that use Oracle effectively. It will mean a lot of work for us just to be able to do our jobs properly.