Re: Howto set Affinity to 1 CPU for Oracle Automatically

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 11:31:28 GMT

abt wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can anyone tell me, if i can set the oracle process on a 4 way server, so
> that oracle uses just 1 cpu instead of all 4.
>
> if its possible, how can i do this, without using taskmanager, basicly i
> want it to automaticlly do it, itself
>
> Thanks for the help in advance
>
> A.

ON Metalink - search for
WINNT: ORACLE_AFFINITY - How to Restrict Oracle on a Multi-CPU NT Machine

This is an example registry setting - ORACLE_AFFINITY :

    ORACLE_AFFINITY=DBWR:1;LGWR:2;USER:12;DEF:ROBIN I'd examine the

  8.X Getting Started Manual for Windows NT.

  1* select * from v$parameter where name like '%cpu%' SQL> /

       NUM
NAME
TYPE

VALUE

ISDEFAULT ISSES ISSYS_MOD ISMODIFIED ISADJ DESCRIPTION --------- ----- --------- ---------- -----
        18
cpu_count
3
1
TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE number of cpu's for this instance

Okay - so these settings do exist, but I have seen in the past that people recommend not to mess with them. I can understand wanting to restrict Oracle to a single CPU on a 4-way box if for licensing, you only need the power of a single CPU, but want to run other processes in the operating system with an interconnect of IPC or wanted to have C externals running in the OS, etc.

cross-posting sux.

Paul Received on Sun Aug 19 2001 - 06:31:28 CDT