Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:32:27 -0400

Nuno,

Please see below...

Nuno Souto wrote:
<snip>
> 1 - NO additional version whatsoever of the database. Same version
> EXACTLY that I can buy for the same price for a single node. Of
> course, I may have to pay for two clustered node licenses. I don't
> contend this is good or bad, expensive or cheap, I'm just stating my
> requirement.

Why should I have to pay for the clustering support to run on a single machine? With DB2, I can install the free Personal Edition with basic support (i.e. single node, single processor). I can install the (relatively expensive) Enterprise Extended Edition and get everything. And versions in between. I can choose how much money to spend by the features I want. Same with my customers.

Also - as Serge pointed out - once I hve it installed, the same DLL and application code works in all versions.

--
To reply, delete the 'x' from my email

Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.