Re: Error when startup database

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:05:24 +1000

dbv is the executable for the dbverify application.

I don't have the syntax to hand (check the doco at technet.oracle.com), but basically you say "dbv 'filename' blocksize=X log=blah.txt" (at the command prompt, not within SQLPlus or Server Manager -it's a standlone application).

You can leave out the blocksize bit if your Oracle blocksize is 2K, but otherwise, it's compulsory.

The filename bit can refer to any online or offline datafile -ie, you can point it at a dead copy of a datafile copied as part of a backup, or to a file currently in use.

The output is a text file (the log bit), and it basically lists all the blocks scanned (though dbverify calls them "pages") -and reports all the good ones, plus the count of any corrupt ones found.

Personally, I always recommend that anyone doing O/S backups should make running dbv at the end of the backup against the backed up files damn well near compulsory (it's the only real check you've got that the backup set is meaningful).

If you need more help, mail me... I should have the syntax to hand by then (but *do* check technet first... it's a mine of information).

Regards