Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:55:08 -0400

Nuno Souto wrote:

> Does that include the mainframe port of DB2? Or are we finally
> admiting that is a different product?

I don't know. I down't work for IBM (any more) and do not work on mainframe, so I don't know the current status.

I do know the mainframe *used* to be different. After all - it was out in the 1970's, lon before the PC made its debut. I also know the mainframe version's code is being (and has been for quite a while) merged with the PC product. But I don't know the current status.

> And they all magically release at the same time? Cripes, IBM must
> have solved the problem every maker of portable s/w has.

I wouldn't say "every maker of portable s/w has". I have worked on some fairly large projects where multiple platforms have completed within a few days. The secret here is to have a good design up front, and follow the design. And, if the platform dependent code is finished first, then the common code, all platforms are done at *exactly* the same time.

> Of course, one could take the sceptical outlook and conclude that the
> feature set is so small that OS dependencies are not really relevant.

Sure. And pigs can fly.

--
To reply, delete the 'x' from my email

Jerry Stuckle