Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:53:05 GMT

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:30:47 -0400, Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net> wrote:

>> I would doubt that internally each platform development for a release
>> actually occurs at the same time.
>
>Why not? There's a lot of common code. In most cross-platform projects
>I've seen, OS-specific code is onlu about 10-20% of the code.

Does that include the mainframe port of DB2? Or are we finally admiting that is a different product?

>> That is internal to IBM (not visible to
>> the public) each release on each platform is probably done or finished at
>> different times. So that in actuality IBM must be delaying one or more
>> platforms in order that they all are "released" on the same day. (or close
>> enough to the same day)
>
>I don't see why this needs to be so. I suspect they have multiple
>groups working in parallel on the same parts of the OS-specific code.

And they all magically release at the same time? Cripes, IBM must have solved the problem every maker of portable s/w has.

Of course, one could take the sceptical outlook and conclude that the feature set is so small that OS dependencies are not really relevant.

Like for example: how does DB2 address clustering in their version for Windows 2000 and XP given that not even Microsoft has finalized their own clustering code at OS level? How does that clustering match the clustering for UNIX/Linux environments? All minor details, I'm sure?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Aug 13 2001 - 04:53:05 CDT