Restarting Oracle after shutting down UNIX without shutting down Oracle first

From: Nick <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:53:46 +0100

Hello

I have been given the task of getting an Oracle database started after the UNIX server was shutdown without shutting down Oracle first. I have no DBA experience with Oracle at all, and come from an MS background so all this is new to me.

Anyway, the documentation suggests that I do the following:

    sqlplus /nolog
    connect username/password as sysdba
    STARTUP database_name

However, I always get an error when using the connect command to connect as sysdba. The error is ORA-01031L insufficient privileges. I have used the sys username and password that I have been given and still get this error. In fact I get the same error even if I put in a junk username/password that does not exist.

I know this could suggest that the sys password may be incorrect, however I am told that it is correct, and since it does not tell me that the password is incorrect, it may be that I need to choose some other kind of username rather than sys for example.

Please can anyone help me get going on this?

I am basically trying to get Oracle up and running as it was before the server was shutdown, so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Nick Received on Wed Aug 08 2001 - 07:53:46 CDT