Re: Restarting Oracle after shutting down UNIX without shutting down Oracle first

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 00:24:19 -0400

Nick wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have been given the task of getting an Oracle database
> started after the UNIX server was shutdown without shutting
> down Oracle first. I have no DBA experience with Oracle at all,
> and come from an MS background so all this is new to me.
>
> Anyway, the documentation suggests that I do the following:
>
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect username/password as sysdba
> STARTUP database_name
>
> However, I always get an error when using the connect command
> to connect as sysdba. The error is ORA-01031L insufficient
> privileges. I have used the sys username and password that I
> have been given and still get this error. In fact I get the
> same error even if I put in a junk username/password that does
> not exist.
>
> I know this could suggest that the sys password may be
> incorrect, however I am told that it is correct, and since it
> does not tell me that the password is incorrect, it may be that
> I need to choose some other kind of username rather than sys
> for example.
>
> Please can anyone help me get going on this?
>
> I am basically trying to get Oracle up and running as it was
> before the server was shutdown, so any assistance will be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you
>
> Nick

        Two things that may help.

  1. Assuming 7.3 throug 8i you should use svrmgrl rather than SQL*Plus.
  2. Be sure that the Unix account is either the owner of the database (usually Oracle) or an account with DBA privileges.

        Once you get logged in startup the database, do a normal shutdown, and then restart it. When you do the startup Oracle will recover and clean up any loose ends. This can take several minutes -- so, be patient.

        Oracle is extremely good about recovering from this type of problem with no loss of data.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one