Re: Is DBA The Best ???

From: balaski <balaski_at_snet.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 23:10:05 -0400

Hi,

Well,
A number of people claim to be DBAs -- but GOOD DBAs are FAR from a dime-a-dozen.
It is rather interesting the people I see who think the whole world is NT & that the fact that they can create a database makes them a DBA -- HA! what a joke -- I wouldn't call them DBAs -- more like Database Baby-Sitters Sure --throw them in a Real Production (thousands of users & terabytes of data) -- Game over Player One.

hmmm -- Good Unix skills in combination with Good Tuning skills are invaluable!
What might be good -- multi-lingual (Knowing more than one flavor of database -- Oracle/SqlServer/DB2)

Good SQL tuning skills. There are a number of products out there that a Good Performance Tuning Oriented DBA can apply tuning abilities (such as PeopleSoft, Ariba, etc etc)

I Think the DBA must get really envolved in the Software Process -- So learning the Development Tools & Languages would be excellent (say Java)... Combine that with some good SA skills -- solid career path with opportunities to move in several related fields.

That is my take on the matter.

dB

"AlphAlpha" <vox100_at_home.com> wrote in message news:AiIb7.26255$B37.510066_at_news1.rdc1.bc.home.com...
> Hi,
>
> What learning path would be the smartest in Oracle ?
>
> My situation is that I want to learn Oracle servers, but there's so many
> servers i'm getting confused as to what I should spend my time and my hard
> earned bucks on in training. The one that seems to be the most popular is
> the DBA path but that doesn't make sense to me. How can there be so many
> schools training people to be DBA's, are DBA's a dime a dozen out there
> right now or in the near future ? Am i gonna get out of school and hear
> that theres too many new DBA's out there and I should 'uv learned another
> specific area in Oracle ? I know this is a weird question but I took an
 MCSE