Re: Is DBA The Best ???

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 09:47:27 GMT

On Tue, 07 Aug 2001 02:23:28 GMT, "AlphAlpha" <vox100_at_home.com> wrote:

>earned bucks on in training. The one that seems to be the most popular is
>the DBA path but that doesn't make sense to me. How can there be so many
>schools training people to be DBA's, are DBA's a dime a dozen out there
>right now or in the near future ?

Hehehe! Fair question...

>Am i gonna get out of school and hear
>that theres too many new DBA's out there and I should 'uv learned another
>specific area in Oracle ?

Yes.

>I know this is a weird question but I took an MCSE
>program and my view is that it was a waste of money, employers didn't care
>about the MS designation where i live and would have been more impressed if
>I had good knowledge in UNIX and Cisco. I'm very interested in what you
>people think.

I'd stick with Unix and Cisco.

Unfortunately ORACLE, in their haste to gain credibility for their "training agreements", has forgotten that DBA is NOT the only discipline that needs "formal" training.

There is a lot more to a certified professional than being able to parrot away the DBA manuals. How about design? Nothing in any trainer's programs! Coding? Bugger all. Developer? Cancelled. Analisys? Wot's that?
And so on...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Aug 07 2001 - 04:47:27 CDT