Re: Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-06401

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 7 Aug 2001 03:02:13 -0700

jacob_nordgren_at_hotmail.com (Jacob Nordgren) wrote in message news:<47c6b9be.0108062243.369cf831_at_posting.google.com>...
> I don't understand this error message. Can't find out what I'm doing
> wrong.
> I'm usig Oracle 8.105 on a Linux machine. Everything worked fine when
> I used thin instead of oci but when I've changed to oci I get this
> error message.
>
> ORA-06401 NETCMN: invalid driver designator
> Cause: The login (connect) string contains an invalid driver
> designator.
> Action: Correct the string and re-submit.
>
> I use:
> jdbc:oracle:oci8:@alban:1521:mydb
>
> and have also tried:
> jdbc:oracle:oci8:@(description=(address=(host=alban)(protocol=tcp)(port=1521))(connect_data=(sid=mydb)))
>
> What's wrong? I don't understand what means with "driver designator".
>
> / Jacob

According to the Oracle Desk Reference by Guy Harrison the syntax is
for the thin driver
or
jdbc:oracle:oci8:@<servicename>
for the oci8 driver. Servicename should be present in tnsnames.ora

You are mixing up syntax.
Please refer to the Oracle jdbc documentation for official syntax

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Aug 07 2001 - 05:02:13 CDT