Re: file size 2GB limit

From: wysza <awysza_at_invalid.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 01:57:44 GMT

Recently, I had a crash of DB of 30GB. One of the files - temp file - exceeded 4GB. It was Oracle 8.0.5.0.0. At that time, I've learned (from Oracle Support) that there was a bug in that Oracle and it couldn't handle large files. It was fixed in a patch 5.0.5.2.6 so hopefully it is fixed in O8i.
Let's hope it is no longer Oracle limit.

wysza

"Zhenming Wang" <zmwang_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:Ksea7.23466$D55.2227477_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
| Hi everyone,
| The reason I raised this question was that I had once worked with a client
| who were using large data files more than 30GB, and many articles do
 mention
| that there is a 2GB file size limit there when running Oracle.
|
| My client's database was almost 100GB with several tablespaces, among them
| two were very large, the data tablespace to store production tables with a
| datafile whose size was 32GB (only one datafile), and the index
 tablespace
| which even larger than the previous one with a datafile size 34GB (also
 only
| one data file).
|
| In such situation, of course, the database wouldn't work properly, the
| application had many errors when running batch jobs, and the database
| eventually crushed for several times. After consulting with Oracle World
| support, I was told for Version 7.3.4, that the dictionary tables had
| crashed. With a 8K data blocksize, the maximum data blocks one data file
| can only support 4 million, that is about 32GB, otherwise, the dictionary
| tables would become unknown. I had to export the whole database, the
 final
| exported datafile was about 30 GB, and recreated a new database with a
 few
| small datafiles, and imported it into.
|
| Through this instance, I learned that there is no 2GB file size limit on
 NT
| with NTFS running Oracle, but I confuse with that there are so many
 readings
| there about 2GB file size limit.
|
| Zhenming Wang
|

| Zhenming Wang wrote in message ...
| >I wonder whether NT4.0 NTFS file system supports large file size (>2GB)
| >when Oracle server installed on it. Is it NT 32-bit restriction or
 Oracle's