Re: file size 2GB limit

From: Zhenming Wang <zmwang_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:41:59 -0400

Hi everyone,
The reason I raised this question was that I had once worked with a client who were using large data files more than 30GB, and many articles do mention that there is a 2GB file size limit there when running Oracle.

My client's database was almost 100GB with several tablespaces, among them two were very large, the data tablespace to store production tables with a datafile whose size was 32GB (only one datafile), and the index tablespace which even larger than the previous one with a datafile size 34GB (also only one data file).

In such situation, of course, the database wouldn't work properly, the application had many errors when running batch jobs, and the database eventually crushed for several times. After consulting with Oracle World support, I was told for Version 7.3.4, that the dictionary tables had crashed. With a 8K data blocksize, the maximum data blocks one data file can only support 4 million, that is about 32GB, otherwise, the dictionary tables would become unknown. I had to export the whole database, the final exported datafile was about 30 GB, and recreated a new database with a few small datafiles, and imported it into.

Through this instance, I learned that there is no 2GB file size limit on NT with NTFS running Oracle, but I confuse with that there are so many readings there about 2GB file size limit.

Zhenming Wang