Re: I have the same problem, but why?

From: Bart <ordabber_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2 Aug 2001 07:51:02 -0700

I don't believe Oracle SQL-net is the problem.

After having installed Oracle 8.1.7 and having created a database instance, I finally thought I could leave the noisy server room and finish my job from my own desktop.

I used to work with programs like VNC, Netop, PCAnywhere, Laplink but the customer didn't install one of these. Instead terminal server was available.
I opened my terminal client box, loggod on to the server (with the same account as I installed the software and created the databaseinstance) opened a command prompt and tried to start srvmgrl. But, no way to connect to the database. Afterwards I went back to the server room and doing exactly the same as with terminal client did work.

My conclusion: as DBA, don't use terminal server, install instead one of the REAL remote programs.

Bart