Re: I have the same problem, but why?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 07:56:51 +0200

Li Lin" <tb_lin_at_hotmail.com> wrote

> I'm having exactly the same problem here, install Oracle on Win2K
> using terminal service ... and finally 'ORA-12560: TNS:protocol
> adapter error'. I think I've found the answer here that I need to
> install locally, but why? What caused that error message?

Oracle uses a software protocol adapter interface or layer, between actual protocol stack and the upper layers of the Oracle call interface. Much like a networking API (application programming interface) that sits between the protocol and the application software.

In order for Oracle's SQL*Net to "access" the network (i.e. send and receive via the network), it needs to have a protocol adapter installed that provides the interface into whatever protocol stacks you have on that machine, e.g. IP, IPX, LU6, etc. Without a protocol adapter, Oracle on that platform can not use the network.

The details on the error:
12560, 00000, "TNS:protocol adapter error"

// *Cause: A generic protocol adapter error occurred.
// *Action: Check addresses used for proper protocol specification. Before
// reporting this error, look at the error stack and check for lower level
// transport errors.For further details, turn on tracing and reexecute the
// operation. Turn off tracing when the operation is complete.

I think the suggested actions speak for itself. Turn on tracing (see the SQLNET.ORA file for details). You should also check the NT event log.

Hopefully this one is easy to solve. I've run into some weird network bugs in the past with Oracle, though no real fault of Oracle, but problems in the operating system protocol stack (Unix) and network device drivers (Windows).

--
Billy