Re: DBA activities

From: DJW <djw_at_smooth1.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:58:09 +0100

Steve Bourgeois wrote in message ...
>> From a managers perspective,
>> work, table spaces don't get full and data is always available then a
>> DBA does nothing and maybe isn't needed.
>
>This could also be the case where you have a very good DBA.

  Yep. A good PRO-ACTIVE DBA how monitor things and plans   aheed to avoid problems. After all online is called ONLINE   because a lot of work can be done without taking down the   database server!

>If the DBA is skilled and proactive, then occurrences of problems
>with backups, space management, etc. are greatly minimized. It's
>worth the time/money to buy or develop tools to help you
>keep an eye on things and deal with them quickly. A DBA who
>looks like they aren't doing anything could be working on some
>neat tool that will make your environment run more smoothly.

  True, or reading Informix's Web Site /newgroups to learn about   problems others have come across and learn about any  problems in new releases which make affect you.