Re: TNS Protocol Adapter error

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 25 Jul 2001 23:42:51 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<995999533.18340.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>...

> Two comments:
> 'and still I do not have an answer'
>
> This is *NOT*, I repeat *NOT* Oracle support, this a volunteer group!!!!!

Yes, this is not Oracle support, from here a man can sometimes get sensible answer. :-) <-- just joke

> Also, Oracle comes with a net8 troubleshooting manual.

Did you ever fixed something (not limited to Oracle) with troubleshooting manual ? I'm not. I usually looked in just to learn that my problem is not listed there. :-)

> Secondly:
> without posting your listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora, which you
> claim to be correct, no one can resolve your problem.

Yes, definitely true, it's interesting why some people assume that another people have some strange mental link to their system, so there is no need for informations. Plus it can be a good idea to post also listener.log.

> If you used one of the
> assistants and you have a proper install, it just should work.

I'm not quite sure. Sometimes when I build database with database assistant, this tool didn't configured database properly, especially network settings. So I think that is a good idea, after using database assistant, to check network configuration files. For example listenet.ora was bad sometimes after DB assistant tried to set up network for new DB.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader