Re: An astonishingly slow DB opening

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:55:10 +0200

"F Quednau" <fquednau_at_realfiction.net> wrote

> Here the connect thing, indeed unchanged within the component and the
> application
> --> time here
> Set DBCon = New ADODB.Connection
> With DBCon
> .Provider = "OraOLEDB.Oracle"
> .Open "alias", "user", "pwd"
> End With
> --> time here. COM + half a minute, application 2 seconds for first
> connect. AARGH!

I'll have a stab at it Frank and say it is a COM problem. The first time around, the COM libraries needs to be loaded. Then they need to setup and initialise themselves. And who knows exactly what they are trying to do. I have never been a COM supporter because of performance issues - not that the architecture is bad, but because of the poor implementation and lack of consideration for performance by the COM developers.

> Thanks for ANY pointers.

Well grab onto this:
var p : ^string;

It is a valid string pointer that derefenced, tells you 'Delphi instead!'. ;-)

--
Billy