Re: What is Parallel DML?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:54:50 +0100

This may depend to some degree on the nature and scale of the job. Parallel query often results in high I/O rates - if the CPU is going to be waiting for one process to complete it's I/O phase, it may as well do some work for another process.

I have found in the past that parallel query can scale quite well on suitable hardware on suitable types of query even when there is only one CPU.

On the other hand - when the two layers of slaves are busy flinging intermediate results all over the place, the cost of the task switching can become a significant fraction of the CPU used, and have a massive negative impact on performance - historically it used to be very common for Oracle to take paths which resulted in this sort of problem,

--
Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html

Screensaver or Lifesaver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.