Re: EXECUTE IMMEDIATE Question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:48:31 +0100

It is very easy and very tempting to fall into the trap of building literal strings and then using execute immediate everywhere. This would probably result in an application that scaled very badly because of parsing costs and
library latch contention.

Try to restrict execute immediate to tasks which are inherently quite expensive (i.e. ones where the overhead is therefore
a very small percentage of the job), and where possible, make use of the USING
clause with bind variables to maximise
the reusability of the strings.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html

Screensaver or Lifesaver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.